Readers continue to send in their memories of time spent as patients at the old Derbyshire Children’s Hospital in North Street, Derby. Jane Goddard reports.
WHEN Beryl Martin was a child she was a fairly regular visitor to Derbyshire Children’s Hospital for a variety of minor ailments, along with her sister and brother. She was born in 1922 and her family lived within a stone’s throw of the old hospital.
Mrs Martin, nee Bull, of Littleover, recalled: “The outpatients’ clinic was presided over by a statuesque sister in blue uniform and lace-edged white cap – think Hattie Jacques from television! She called in her patients in a cut-glass voice and once announced that she came from ‘Daffield’!
“After our treatment, our mother usually took home a bag full of used slings and bandages – not soiled ones, as these were incinerated. She washed them and boiled them in a large saucepan on the gas stove. Then they were ironed, rolled and returned to the hospital to be put in the steriliser. The hospital relied on volunteers and fund-raisers. Does anyone remember the Hospital Day each year?
“There was a carnival procession which wound its way around the town consisting of decorated vehicles, with decked-out horses, which were accompanied by gaily dressed dancers rattling buckets and collecting tins. Also, several of the big houses on Kedleston Road and Duffield Road held garden parties with fund-raising stalls. Continue reading